Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Pit and the Pendulum

We wrap up our Poe Fest this week with the second THOIA appearance of The Pit and Pendulum (the first time was last May with the Beware #10 version HERE.) Today’s story though comes from the Fall 1952 issue of Nightmare #2, and is illustrated by the truly great Everett Raymond Kinstler. (NOTE: take a look at page two, panel three--- it's Vincent Price appearing a full 9 years BEFORE starring in Roger Corman's film of the same name!)

I hope everyone enjoyed this admiration filled glimpse into the mind of the original Master of Horror, Mr. Edgar Allan Poe. Happy 200th Birthday Day old boy!







And once again I want to thank Todd Hunter for all the great Classics Illustrated issue scans this week... and another round of applause to my gracious fellow bloggers: Admiral David Tackett at Quasar Dragon, Kitty LeClaw at Killer Kittens from Beyond the Grave, and Sir Chuck Wells at The Comic Book Catacombs for hosting THOIA story submissions for our Poe Week (plus an additional set of Devil Horns to Kitty for her sweet as Hell tribute to THOIA yesterday too.)

And before I forget, there's a couple pulse-pounding versions of The Tell-Tale Heart in the THOIA Archives for you to also check-out. Click HERE!

TOMORROW: The 70’s Time Machine Returns!

+++++++++++++++++++++++

Edgar Allan Poe Stamp: for Now, Not Nevermore


Poe gets commemorated on his 200th Birthday with a stamp! Click HERE for more info and start putting a little EAP on your mournful death notes!

+++++++++++++++++++++++

Tagged!

Amazing Alan over at the endlessly fun Robot Nine blog “tagged” me recently, and the game goes down like this: Enter your hard drive - go to the fourth folder - pull out the fourth image file - post it. Lucky for me the fourth folder on my C Drive is reserved for my client Big Dumb Rock Productions who I create concert posters for occasionally, and the fourth file was a 45 Grave design I created for them a few years back (featuring art I lifted from the cover of the July 1952 issue of Black Cat Mystery #37!)



FYI: I’ve been thinking about printing these up and selling them, if anyone is interested just drop me a line at karswell@hotmail.com for info.

And as most tagging games require, I must now pick 4 lucky souls to enter their own hard drives and go fourth folder - fourth file - post image. But! I hate having to choose (and I love breaking rules) so I leave it wide open for anyone who wants to play… just be sure to drop me and Alan a line so we can check it out on your own blog. Have fun!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. That really is Vinnie the P in all his spawn of depraved blood----i meant majesty. Kinstler, as usual goes above and beyond the bounds of excellence, even though i'd still prefer to see his work in black and white.

blackwalnut2001 said...

"Poe! You are avenged!" -- Lugosi, in "The Raven" (1935)

Anonymous said...

Interesting that this story changes the villains to a defunct monarchy, from the still extant Roman Catholic Church and the Dominican Order who ran its Inquisition.

Pappy said...

How cool...over 1001 Scare-abian Nights with THOIA. You do such a fine job, my friend.

joe ackerman said...

ah! and that's the one I've been waiting for all week! great job, my man.

AndyDecker said...

If one deserves the title genius in terms of genre fiction, it is Poe. The man put so many ideas and concepts on the map which are still valid today, it is unbelievable.

It is a nice retelling in comics form, but I also had to grin about the subtle change from catholic inquisition to cruel tyrants.

sfdoomed said...

Great artwork on this one. What a way to celebrate the father of the macabre this week!

The stamps are cool, but if you buy them other than for collecting them you better use them quick; the price of stamps go up again in April.

Awesome job on the 45 GRAVE flier, Karswell.

Anonymous said...

MAN DO I LOVE KINSTLER AND THIS VERSION IS WAY BETTER THAN THE ONE FROM BEWARE. THE HOODED DUDE ON PAGE 2 TOTALLY LOOKS LIKE PRICE, THAT'S HILARIOUS!

I'LL HAVE TO RUN OUT TODAY ON MY LUNCH BREAK AND GET A SET OF THE POE STAMPS. ITS WEIRD WHEN THE POST OFFICE ACTUALLY DOES SOMETHING YOUR HAPPY ABOUT.

AND I AGREE WITH SFDOOMED, THAT 45 GRAVE FLIER IS KICK ASS!!

Kitty LeClaw said...

Sweets to the sweet...

Prof. Grewbeard said...

Kong-gradulations on your 1002nd(?)
post. can a blog change your life? yes, it's possible!...

Todd Franklin said...

Be still my Tell-Tale Heart because those Poe stamps are very cool!

Anonymous said...

this was a great tribute to poe, thanks again for all the excellence

Mr. Karswell said...

I'm sorry to have to end the Poe Fest here, but aside from a CI version of The Gold Bug (and missing a page - booo!) it's all I had left! But it sounds like everyone enjoyed the tribute and I am of course more than glad to have brought it to you with the gracious help of Todd, Dave, Chuck and Kitty. And if you still haven't checked out the Poe posts at their blogs please do, and while you're at it leave some damn comments too! We bloggiers live for that shit. Thanks again!

TOMORROW: Bernard Bailey proves you can never stop the 70's Devil Rock!

virtual laser keyboard said...

Hello I love your information on this topic ... very interesting and I would like to put more on this article .... it's great that people have engaged to do interesting things to do .... thanks

Marco said...

Poe is "the" master of horror tale, side by side to Lovecraft. It's a full delight see comic adaptation from his tales.
I can just say : Wonderful! AndI put my knees on earth in reverence to this writer.