Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Jay Disbrow News / Bride of Doom

The next artist edition in our Chilling Archives of Horror Comics hardcover collection has been announced, and it's going to be Jay Disbrow's Monster Invasion! If you've been following this blog then you've seen a handful of his terrifically crazy, creature-loaded stories posted here over the years, (if not then check the archive), as well as lovingly reprinted in Haunted Horror! Look for this one in stores early 2017, and of course you can pre-order NOW at Amazon by clicking HERE. In the monstery meantime, we have a short 'n sweet Disbrow tale to get you in the mood for some weird love of another sort-- originally presented in the October 1952 issue of Forbidden Worlds #10.









8 comments:

Glowworm said...

This one's a lot of fun. The demonic bride reminds me a bit of the original Madam Satan from the comic books--a gorgeous dark haired woman who served Satan and who's real face was a skull. Her job was to seduce men to their death and bring them to the Devil. Like this bride from Hell, she failed too.

Brian Barnes said...

Horror comics had a lot of "as it turns out plot" but this one had two of them, in a row, on the same page! And then everybody monologues!

Disbrow certain knew how to draw a sexy devil girl, though he struggled with space because nobody stops talking in this thing!

Fun little tale.

Guy Callaway said...

"Either I'm going off my rocker, or there's the most diabolically evil force I've ever heard about at work here!"

I love how Joe refers to the ghosties as "creeps".

Grant said...

These things are bound to crop up so I'm not picking on the story for it, but there's one stilted line, or I guess just plain redundant line - "You won't live to leave here alive!"

JMR777 said...

So now we know Ed Wood worked as a writer for horror comics, who else in the world could come up with such, such unique quotes and phrases.

Grant said...

Speaking of dialogue, I'm always interested in things that break those "Mad Men" type rules about men and women in the ' 50s (and other periods) that people are so used to. So I like Linda's line "Look, here, Mr. Sims, I don't care if you ARE a detective, you've got no right to rush me off in a car...."

Sure, she DOES end up going with him, but it's still interesting.

Mr. Cavin said...

I love the idea that he thinks he's got a shot at marrying this woman after--what?--an afternoon spent needlessly kidnapping and endangering her? I mean, she was useful to his plans how exactly? I can only chalk it up to his belief in that devil chick's matchmaking prowess.

Mestiere said...
This comment has been removed by the author.